Change font size   Print view   Arrange Blocks
Navigator

Just got ATC as my job... unsure...

Thinking about joining the Air Force or another branch? Ask our many experts your questions or concerns and enter the USAF with open eyes!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 4:33 am
Hey there.

Story goes I just got ATC as my AFSC. Contract is there just needs to be signed. I am having one big issue though. From the very beginning I made it clear that I was only interested in 4 year jobs not 6. I only found out today that ATC is a 6 year job after I seen the contract. No one had ever told me that this and some other jobs I listed were 6 year jobs even at MEPS where I stated to the liaison that I was only interested in 4 year jobs. He gave me a sheet and said pick from these so I presumed (being a fool of course) that these were all 4 year job contracts. Little did I know they were not.

What can I do? If I say no my recruiter told me I will be DEP Discharged because this was my 3rd pick on my dream sheet and that there is nothing she can really do about it. I honestly have no idea what to do. Being honest I only want to join for the education and I have seen a lot of people online saying a 6 year contract is not worth it. The advancement in rank means little even in terms of money. Am I able to lets say get out of this and go to lets say the Navy instead or what other options do I have at this point? I was pumped for going but now my mind is just not in it. The fact that it was never said to me is just downright sneaky and I feel a little cheated.

What advice do you guys have for me?

Thanks for your help and advice.

posting.php?mode=post&f=5#

Return to Recruits