Change font size   Print view   Arrange Blocks
Navigator

JOB: GS 12 IAM in San Antonio

So you want to be a GS...
Webmaster
Webmaster
PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:10 pm
If this sounds like you and YOU ARE ALREADY A GS then PM me for more...
PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:15 pm
Damn prerequisites! :wink:

I may or may not be leaving the Air Force in the next few years (still on the fence) and I'm currently exploring civilian options. I'm sure my military wife will keep me from being planted anywhere permanent for long, but it's nice to see what opportunities are out there.
Post Whore
Post Whore
PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:32 am
I would stay in. Making more money and growing a goatee as you follow her around sounds good in theory, but it really sucks moving from job to job following a spouse around once she gets an overseas assignment, which would be totally F#$king lame to rule those out. I just didn't really dig the stress of lining up a job in advance at the next base since rarely will a good job be open just as you show up, but only to have her get a completely different base than what we thought would be easy to get. One job I even left a year early for, moved a bunch of sh*t there, then she didn't get the base and I had to leave a F#$king awesome job, and ship all my crap out again. It was one of those bases people usually try to avoid and is about as close to guaranteed as it gets if you put it on a BOP. In hindsight we both agree that she should have got out and me stayed with my company.

There are also always going to be assignments she will get where the pickings are slim for jobs because people will stay at the good jobs until they die after which the job will be given only to their best friend. So you'll often be forced into either remaining unemployed, working a sh*tty and/or low paying job, or moving somewhere else to work a good job but being far apart.

Spouse preference doesn't mean sh*t in most cases. It is all an old boy network first and foremost, even with government jobs.
PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:45 am
My wife wants to do the whole homeschooling thing with our (eventual) kids. She was planning on getting out and doing it herself; however, she's excelling at her career and trying to go officer now, so she's asking that I fulfill that role instead since I'm already starting to burn out in my job. I'm still weighing the pros and cons. I'm losing retirement at 38 years old (where else can you retire after 20 years?), but I can go Reserves and still collect it when I'm 60. I'd expect to be a stay-at-home parent so I don't have to worry about finding jobs at every base we go to. Homeschooling is a full-time job as it is.

I don't think it's worth it to get out now, but I'm still feeling around, getting an idea of all my options before I commit one way or the other.
5-Level
5-Level
PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:56 am
I've seen most home schooling turn out much better than DoDDs schools. If she ends up at a base where you have multiple services, the social mix can be very interesting. I'll edit it down for brevity; imagine one DoDDS system supporting three bases. A cluster of families from all three bases PCS'd unexpectedly when it was decided that their high school aged kids spent too much time hanging out at a bus stop in the main housing area on the largest base. Large amount of speculation on what things were being sold, most of the ones hanging out were females....
The only thing you have to watch out for is that your eventual beasties will need interaction with other kids. Children need activity and exercise. Saying all that, I think most people can do a better job teaching their own kids than someone who is only punching a time clock for the paycheck.
If you already have realized you are starting to burn out, better a change than a crash...:-)
Do something good for your kids....:-)
PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:51 am
We talked with a former Chief of mine who had homeschooled all 5 of his girls until college age (15-16 years old for them; they were damn smart and taught well!). So we have a pretty good idea of how to do it effectively. The term "homeschool" is a bit of a misnomer, since you shouldn't be doing all the teaching confined in the home. You need to get your kids out and let them experience the world while being educated. Museums, libraries, historical landmarks, educational events, etc. Also, signing them up for extracurricular activities (summer camp, Boy/Girl Scouts, sports, etc.) ensures they get some socializing in with kids their own age.
Post Whore
Post Whore
PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:28 pm
I've met way too many socially inept adults that were home schooled to ever, ever consider doing something like that.

Cross train and then PCS somewhere stateside with good schools off base. Don't f**k up your kids with home schooling.
5-Level
5-Level
PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:57 am
IWantMy2Dollars wrote:I've met way too many socially inept adults that were home schooled to ever, ever consider doing something like that.
Cross train and then PCS somewhere stateside with good schools off base. Don't f**k up your kids with home schooling.

If it's a choice between home schooling and DoDDs, I'd go with home schooling. It would be hard to do worse...
Stateside, it would depend on the school district.
I'm guessing the inept people had inept parents...???

7-Level
7-Level
PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:34 pm
You can also apply to this job if you are less than 3 years separated from Civil Service, FYI.
Post Whore
Post Whore
PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:24 pm
Opfor wrote:
IWantMy2Dollars wrote:I've met way too many socially inept adults that were home schooled to ever, ever consider doing something like that.

If it's a choice between home schooling and DoDDs, I'd go with home schooling. It would be hard to do worse...
Stateside, it would depend on the school district.
I'm guessing the inept people had inept parents...???

Even if you were competent enough to have your children taught an exceptional curriculum, you will never teach them the social skills that will be needed to succeed in the real world. That is usually where the biggest disconnect is with people that were home schooled and it is extremely important.
3-Level
3-Level
PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:09 am
IWantMy2Dollars wrote:Even if you were competent enough to have your children taught an exceptional curriculum, you will never teach them the social skills that will be needed to succeed in the real world. That is usually where the biggest disconnect is with people that were home schooled and it is extremely important.

My wife was home schooled and never felt disconnected. This really only happens with the families who home school due to religous reasons. They believe the world is evil and never let their kids even touch the outside.

Also most cities offer home school groups where they will all meet up one day out of the week so they can still do extra curricular activities such as sports, music and arts.

*Sorry for continuing the off topic discussion.*

Return to 2210