Change font size   Print view   Arrange Blocks
Navigator

3D033 Cyber Security Question.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:44 am
Good Afternoon!

I recently booked the 3D033 Cyber Surety job which I was very excited about but I came across this website and read some horror stories about COMSEC, paperwork, and possible jail sentences if you mess up.

I was wondering if there is any chance of actually doing some technical tasks that will help me in the future.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:41 pm
I keep on hearing the same thing about 3D0X3 now and before i cross trained into the field. I cross trained to 3D0X3 on May 2013 and majority of the X3s I have come to know are System Center Configuration Manager (SCCM), IA, Security Managers, or Vulnerability Assessment (VA) technicians/admins. It really depends on your assignment, like any other AFSC which have specific duties that most think are awesome and some not so much.

Good luck!
5-Level
5-Level
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:56 am
AirforceJim wrote:I was wondering if there is any chance of actually doing some technical tasks that will help me in the future.

Everything in perspective there Jim-Bob. Having come in as a 3C0X1 (3D0X2 in today's career) I've done a lot on the "technical" side of the house - spent 2 years in Korea and even went to AOC school and was the subject matter expert for a lot of the programs and systems. During the 3D conversion I had the opportunity to switch over to 3D0X3, and I've had some great experiences.

1) It's not a jail sentence, but COMSEC can be what you make of it. I had the (mis?)fortune to go to Beale around my 4th year in, and as SrA I was at the bottom of the food chain. I did Combat Crew Communications, and didn't even touch a server rack unless it was bolted into a MC-12 that I was loading. I got to work with Pilots and Aircrew and leaned management skills I wouldn't have received working the regular COMM path (I was in an OSS).

Also, as a 3D0 you have a higher chance of receiving a Green Door assignment (invite-only special duty). While at Beale I had a SSgt receive one, a SrA get one, and me personally took one. That's where your REAL technical training happens.

So fear not. Yes, sometimes it can be a bit slow, but use it as an opportunity to get your Bachelors and get ahead in life!

Return to 3D0X3-Cyber Surety