Change font size   Print view   Arrange Blocks
Navigator

Retiree Cola Cuts will cost you $83k!!

If your AFSC once started with 491 then this is the place for you...
User avatar
Webmaster
Webmaster
Posts: 1652
Joined: Thu Oct 17, 2002 12:00 am
Location: Texas
PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:59 pm
The new budget includes a cola decrease for retirees this will cost many of us a large amount of money:

"For example, an E-7 retiring this year with 20 years of service would see an average loss of over $3,700 per year by the time he/she reaches age 62 – overall impact: $83,000 loss by age 62."

Read the full breakdown here:
MOAA Budget Info
User avatar
Post Whore
Post Whore
Posts: 3685
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2005 12:00 am
Location: KOFF
PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 10:32 am
Is this really to be something up in arms about? We always can't get it our way. Honestly how many retiree's do NOT get a job when they retire? Every retiree I know has a descent paying job and they aren't working at WalMart or McDonalds.

So people aren't getting pay adjusted for inflation, but they'll get it when they "hit retirement age." People are still getting 2k a month while they're making 5-9k a month with their current job.

I do think that if the service member shows they do not have a job or a job that's making them a certain amount then they should still be entitled to the pay adjustments.

It's clear costs for everyone in every market are going up. Service members serve a very important part of our society and we shouldn't be Fed over, but we should also be open to compromise where appropriate.
User avatar
Webmaster
Webmaster
Posts: 1652
Joined: Thu Oct 17, 2002 12:00 am
Location: Texas
PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 5:22 pm
Is this the end of the world? No.

Is it a broken promise? Yes, kinda...this wasn't known to us when we signed up.

Do most of us get a second job? Yes, but I have no intention of working until 62, if they said 55 or 58 is would be better.

Should we stand by and let them erode any of our benefits without a fight? No, we earn ours unlike many who receive them and don't earn them.

If we don't fight now we will be forced into Obamacare at some point...
User avatar
7-Level
7-Level
Posts: 753
Joined: Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:00 am
PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 6:19 pm
The_Provider wrote:Is this really to be something up in arms about? We always can't get it our way... but we should also be open to compromise where appropriate.


Your second sentence just kills me. Of course statistically speaking people normally don't get it their way. Does that mean l don't look out for my interests? Does that mean that l simply allow someone to walk into my house and take a few of my belongings? No. I invite every other citizen in this nation to behave the same way. Don't be greedy, but if you feel that you have earned these benefits let your voice be heard. The truth of the matter is, unless we only practice sustinence, we must turn a profit in order to procreate. Children don't grow on trees.

There is a petition on whitehouse.gov. I am not encouraging anyone to support it, just letting you know that it is there.

http://wh.gov/l8iNr
User avatar
Post Whore
Post Whore
Posts: 3685
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2005 12:00 am
Location: KOFF
PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:03 am
Do I think that retirees deserve to get what their owed/due...absolutely.

Our benefits have been spawned out of a de-facto union of sorts. That union has gotten us great benefits...I honestly believe military members don't grasp just how much in terms of benefits they get to them for free or at a reduced cost...sh*t IS EXPENSIVE. Medical while you're in it's FREE, when you retire $45 a month for a family/prescriptions free...get them on base or mail order. Medical is easily $500 per month (pre Obamacare)

And we have people want to lop of heads because of reduced pay adjustments? Ummm...that boat sailed unilaterally by Obama for federal workers in 2009, and those people were actually STILL working.

So here we have our government trying to SAVE itself money and in general all I see is people who can't take an objective view...We can cut SNAP, we can cut education programs, we can cut everywhere else, but you all will be damned if you don't get your 1.5% adjustment in pay each year.

I'm not saying this isn't something to look into is it being applied in the best fashion. Here I'll give you an example:

When I was a GS I worked with 95% retirees half of which were either contractors making 60k+ or GS12s+. The retirees were E-7s+. One Guy was a retired E-7/GS-12 married to a reservists O-4 constantly on orders who was also a GS-12. Their yearly income was over 200k! These people are NOT hurting for money. I can promise you of all "retirees" maybe only 20-50% does this really affect, but like I said in it's current implementation isn't the best. There should be some type of means test to look into a person's income level to see if any adverse effects will come from the loss of pay adjustment.

I just would like to see EVERYONE have skin in the game. You just can't sit idly by and watch as cuts come to other people then b*tch without critical thought if it also starts happening to you.
Last edited by The_Provider on Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Post Whore
Post Whore
Posts: 3685
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2005 12:00 am
Location: KOFF
PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:07 am
Q wrote:Is this the end of the world? No.

Is it a broken promise? Yes, kinda...this wasn't known to us when we signed up.

Do most of us get a second job? Yes, but I have no intention of working until 62, if they said 55 or 58 is would be better.

Should we stand by and let them erode any of our benefits without a fight? No, we earn ours unlike many who receive them and don't earn them.

If we don't fight now we will be forced into Obamacare at some point...



Exactly kinda...Agreed maybe a lowered age at which the pay adjustments are reversed, but that's what I'm saying...There's no reason this shouldn't happen, just better looked at at tweaked so service members don't just feel like they're getting screwed over.

No, benefits are being and will be eroded, but how far and what's just is up for debate.
User avatar
Post Whore
Post Whore
Posts: 5151
Joined: Mon Oct 04, 2004 12:00 am
PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 4:45 pm
Q wrote:Is this the end of the world? No.

Is it a broken promise? Yes, kinda...this wasn't known to us when we signed up.

Do most of us get a second job? Yes, but I have no intention of working until 62, if they said 55 or 58 is would be better.

Should we stand by and let them erode any of our benefits without a fight? No, we earn ours unlike many who receive them and don't earn them.

If we don't fight now we will be forced into Obamacare at some point...


I agreed with you until the last sentence. Do you even know anything about Obamacare? I have a bunch of retards on my Facebook that talk sh*t about it and every time I run the math on their salary, location, desired plan, and people covered, they end up saving a lot of money over what they pay now. They always leave out the huge tax break they get at the end of the year, but none of them make that much money. Unless you are making a lot of money, you will pay less. If you are making a lot of money, big F#$king deal if you have to pay extra to help ensure everyone is covered. You might be amazed at how entrepreneurship in the country rises when people no longer have to worry about losing everything because they got sick. Now people will be able to take more risks.

As for the cola cuts. I agree, if you are promised something, it should not be touched. Cuts could be made in one hundred thousand other areas in the DoD budget, but F#$king with people serving or retirees is absolutely pathetic. This is yet another way the middle class is continually being f**ked deep into the A$$ and all the rich a$$holes making money off of DoD spending will not ever be touched.
User avatar
Webmaster
Webmaster
Posts: 1652
Joined: Thu Oct 17, 2002 12:00 am
Location: Texas
PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 5:51 pm
I'm pretty informed and I won't be getting any tax breaks should I be forced into ACA... But to be fair I just ran the numbers for my family of 5:

Tricare prime $550 a year.

"Affordable care act":
Amount you pay for the premium:$10,292 per year

You could receive a government tax credit subsidy of up to:$0 per year

Plus co-pays and such are more with ACA...

So you might want to reconsider...
User avatar
Post Whore
Post Whore
Posts: 3685
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2005 12:00 am
Location: KOFF
PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 9:35 am
The ACA is a joke the national average for premium increases is 41% with some sates seeing over 140% increases. Like many things the ACA unfairly targets people who happen to have worked hard to get to where they are in life.

In Nebraska where Ilive the average premium increase is 78%

7-Level
7-Level
Posts: 509
Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:04 pm
PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:07 pm
The_Provider wrote:The ACA is a joke the national average for premium increases is 41% with some sates seeing over 140% increases. Like many things the ACA unfairly targets people who happen to have worked hard to get to where they are in life.

In Nebraska where Ilive the average premium increase is 78%



LOL not even close.

You act as if your insurance rates ever went down before the ACA. You also act as if your coverage ever got stronger.

You have no clue, whatsoever, about what you are talking about. The cost for Nebraska isn't due to Obamacare, its due to your idiot governor not expanding medicaid, nor having any competition in the state exchange, which Nebraska also elected not to setup.

Typical Republicans. You are the very source of what causes your lives to be so miserable, and you always blame it on someone else. Interestingly enough, that is exactly what you accuse the "lazy democrats" of, yet you are the ones actually doing it.

Oh, lets also not forget its BCBS choosing to cancel your policy when they don't have to - the plans are in fact grandfathered in, so if you do like your plan you can keep it. The President was correct. Its your insurance company who is electing to f**k you over. POTUS can't require insurance companies to retain your current plan.

Secondly, the letters BCBS are sending out notifying people of the costs of comparable plans are direct sales to the consumers. Those plans are not the prices obtained through the exchange. In fact, many insurance companies have been fined and/or sued for the tactic. They elude to the exchange, then soft sell their own policies direct to their customers without letting them know about the exchange, and/or the fact that the price through the exchange could be much cheaper.

7-Level
7-Level
Posts: 509
Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:04 pm
PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:30 pm
Educate yourselves

http://www.forbes.com/sites/theapotheca ... o-elderly/
User avatar
Post Whore
Post Whore
Posts: 3685
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2005 12:00 am
Location: KOFF
PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:39 pm
formerlyLL wrote:
The_Provider wrote:The ACA is a joke the national average for premium increases is 41% with some sates seeing over 140% increases. Like many things the ACA unfairly targets people who happen to have worked hard to get to where they are in life.

In Nebraska where Ilive the average premium increase is 78%



LOL not even close.


What planet do you live on?

The link you quoted directly shows a 41% premium increase

7-Level
7-Level
Posts: 509
Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:04 pm
PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:21 pm
The_Provider wrote:
formerlyLL wrote:
The_Provider wrote:The ACA is a joke the national average for premium increases is 41% with some sates seeing over 140% increases. Like many things the ACA unfairly targets people who happen to have worked hard to get to where they are in life.

In Nebraska where Ilive the average premium increase is 78%



LOL not even close.


What planet do you live on?

The link you quoted directly shows a 41% premium increase



Only because your Republican Governor didn't expand medicaid which creates a lower risk pool of subscribers, which helps bring more insurance companies into the exchange to compete for the business, which drives down costs. The same thing happened here in NC, and the Governor will have no choice but to expand medicaid because his ratings are in the toilet.

Thats how economics works. Its not Obamacare's fault your governor won't expand the government program that brings insurers into your state's exchange, increasing competition, and lowering the costs of healthcare. Your state has one of the least regulated healthcare insurance markets in the US, and your policy very likely sucked balls to start with.
User avatar
Post Whore
Post Whore
Posts: 3685
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2005 12:00 am
Location: KOFF
PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:55 pm
formerlyLL wrote:
The_Provider wrote:
formerlyLL wrote:
LOL not even close.


What planet do you live on?

The link you quoted directly shows a 41% premium increase



Only because your Republican Governor...


Seriously WTF is wrong with you? Do you just blatently not read and pretend verified truths are not so?

I say across the board average premiums will go up 41% up to 140%. You say..."Not even close"

Then you cite an article which supports my statements; to which you reply "Only because" then go on to blame a republican. Sorry republicans don't control all 50 states.

Ever think it MIGHT just be because the ACA isn't so affordable?
User avatar
Post Whore
Post Whore
Posts: 5151
Joined: Mon Oct 04, 2004 12:00 am
PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:46 pm
Q wrote:I'm pretty informed and I won't be getting any tax breaks should I be forced into ACA... But to be fair I just ran the numbers for my family of 5:

Tricare prime $550 a year.

"Affordable care act":
Amount you pay for the premium:$10,292 per year

You could receive a government tax credit subsidy of up to:$0 per year

Plus co-pays and such are more with ACA...

So you might want to reconsider...


See, I don't feel bad because you are obviously doing very well for yourself right now and still you aren't being forced off of your plan anyways. Your plan is a completely unique situation in this country and it just isn't fair to even think about comparing health care costs when you are eligible for such a cheap plan. I do hope you get to stay on it and I think your biggest fear is another republican jackass that drafts a bill to destroy more promises for veterans.
User avatar
Post Whore
Post Whore
Posts: 5151
Joined: Mon Oct 04, 2004 12:00 am
PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:53 pm
The_Provider wrote:What planet do you live on?

The link you quoted directly shows a 41% premium increase


See, this is the facebook sh*t that really gets to me. I don't feel like ignorance is an excuse in this day and age with google. It is not hard to educate yourself on a subject before you talk about it. So basically I feel like I am being lied to by people who talk about the ACA F#$king them, but completely leaving out the monster subsidies they get in tax breaks at the end of the year. That Forbes article is kind of shady because they are part of the propaganda white wash that makes you actually believe the ACA is really increasing costs that dramatically. Sure you can be pissed if the government is getting a short term loan from you before they drop almost all that cash back into your pocket, but your out of pocket expense is not even close to what those numbers project unless you are doing very well for yourself.
User avatar
Post Whore
Post Whore
Posts: 3685
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2005 12:00 am
Location: KOFF
PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:17 am
IWantMy2Dollars wrote:
The_Provider wrote:What planet do you live on?

The link you quoted directly shows a 41% premium increase


See, this is the facebook sh*t that really gets to me. I don't feel like ignorance is an excuse in this day and age with google. It is not hard to educate yourself on a subject before you talk about it. So basically I feel like I am being lied to by people who talk about the ACA F#$king them, but completely leaving out the monster subsidies they get in tax breaks at the end of the year. That Forbes article is kind of shady because they are part of the propaganda white wash that makes you actually believe the ACA is really increasing costs that dramatically. Sure you can be pissed if the government is getting a short term loan from you before they drop almost all that cash back into your pocket, but your out of pocket expense is not even close to what those numbers project unless you are doing very well for yourself.



http://www.nbcnews.com/health/i-just-in ... 2D11718146

Math is math:

"Smith, who estimates she will earn $23,000 this year for her 40-hour a week job."

"Smith chose a silver-level plan from Humana, and said it was “totally mind-blowing” to see the $3.19 monthly premium, after a federal subsidy."

x4 yearly income should people only be paying $12.80 a month if they're making 96k a year? F no! They're paying hundreds if not a THOUSAND!

She's getting $1769 a month. 3.20 for health insurance = .18% or her monthly income

96k a year = $7,384 a month. ~$1k for health insurance = 13.54% of random person's monthly income

This law is totally unjust and unfairly burdening those who just happened to make more money. We should all carry the same burden!
User avatar
Webmaster
Webmaster
Posts: 1652
Joined: Thu Oct 17, 2002 12:00 am
Location: Texas
PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:36 pm
IWantMy2Dollars wrote:
Q wrote:I'm pretty informed and I won't be getting any tax breaks should I be forced into ACA... But to be fair I just ran the numbers for my family of 5:

Tricare prime $550 a year.

"Affordable care act":
Amount you pay for the premium:$10,292 per year

You could receive a government tax credit subsidy of up to:$0 per year

Plus co-pays and such are more with ACA...

So you might want to reconsider...


See, I don't feel bad because you are obviously doing very well for yourself right now and still you aren't being forced off of your plan anyways. Your plan is a completely unique situation in this country and it just isn't fair to even think about comparing health care costs when you are eligible for such a cheap plan. I do hope you get to stay on it and I think your biggest fear is another republican jackass that drafts a bill to destroy more promises for veterans.


I don't want people to feel bad for me, I want them to keep their hand out of my pockets...I pay plenty in taxes.

The government and the Dems need to stop thinking everything is their problem to fix

Return to Retiree Room



Who is online

Registered users: No registered users

cron