Change font size   Print view   Arrange Blocks
Navigator

Possible Palace Chase Decision

Trying to decide? Have questions or advise about life post military? Need a lead on a good job? Look in here...
7-Level
7-Level
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:32 pm
So I have an appointment with the In-Service Recruiter coming up mainly to get information for right now, but I am seriously on the fence about my career.

I currently have 12 years in and will hit 13 in October, I came in as a 3C0X1 but was "lucky" enough to be merged into the 3D1X1 career field. I have sucked it up for the past 4 years knowing that there is little to no career progression as a CST. All the courses to advance skills seem to always be approved for 3D0X2s and 3D1X2s, we recently won the battle to get Sec+ but I already have that so still nothing for me, but happy that my airman are able to progress. So hitting the progression "wall" is taking its toll on me and I am pretty much going through the motions at work at this point. Not to mention CST seem to get sh*t on a lot. Kind of like help desks back in the day were expected to do everything. But that is neither here nor there.

At home my wife says that I am drained and just look generally unhappy with my job, which she is right. She suggested that I just get out and has been urging me to for a while now but I don't want to jump ship only to drown. I have been looking at the retraining advisory on a daily basis to see if I would have the opportunity to advance my career and skill set while still being an asset to the Air Force. But if you look at the current AF environment things look grimm for someone like me who would rather retrain than get out.

I also have 3 kiddos to think about as well. Right now I just feel like I am just stuck between a rock and a hard place. I can stay in and suck it up for the next 7 year at the expense of my sanity and happiness, something that I dont want my kids to see, or Palace Chase, retrain into a career field that I think will make me happy while still serving in the Air Force.

Does anyone know what to expect when processing for Palace Chase. The good, the bad, the ugly, opinions. I would like to know everything that anyone would like to contribute. :help:
7-Level
7-Level
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:57 pm
First what you want to do is look at AFPC site for Reserve Vacancies and see if there is a unit that you want to go to. The key factor is if the gaining CC will want to take you into their unit. Guard and Reserve are a totally different pace than AD and given the frustrations you've described, you sound like a similar position I was in. I am currently looking to palace front (no six months early, just transition right after separation). Feel free to PM if you want contact info if you decide. Given that there will be an influx of veterans of all services looking to find work for the next 2-3 years, getting ahead of the curve is important.
Post Whore
Post Whore
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:37 pm
With seven years left, just stay in. Almost all jobs suck. It will probably be about 7 years before you transition closer towards the actual job you want since it is rare you just get out of the AF and walk straight into a sweet job unless you have connections that make this a non choice to begin with. Can you just try and PCS somewhere else to shake things up?

I got out seven years ago and have switched careers twice. I make a hell of a lot more money than when I was in, but quite honestly, I still think I probably would have been better off just staying in. There is always a trade off in your life with each new job. Even when I love my job at first, they start to get old and boring real fast. I get bored with my job once I start to become proficient in it. Maybe you are like me and all that ends up happening is the grass always seems greener on the other side and you stop getting any satisfaction out of the job. It never stays green for long. The benefits and people in the AF are awesome, yeah your job sucks, but jobs tend to suck everywhere.

You just don't have much time left before you can collect a check for the rest of your life and work towards and obtain the job that you think you really want while having that cushion.
9-Level
9-Level
PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:21 pm
IWantMy2Dollars wrote:With seven years left, just stay in. Almost all jobs suck. It will probably be about 7 years before you transition closer towards the actual job you want since it is rare you just get out of the AF and walk straight into a sweet job unless you have connections that make this a non choice to begin with. Can you just try and PCS somewhere else to shake things up?

I got out seven years ago and have switched careers twice. I make a hell of a lot more money than when I was in, but quite honestly, I still think I probably would have been better off just staying in. There is always a trade off in your life with each new job. Even when I love my job at first, they start to get old and boring real fast. I get bored with my job once I start to become proficient in it. Maybe you are like me and all that ends up happening is the grass always seems greener on the other side and you stop getting any satisfaction out of the job. It never stays green for long. The benefits and people in the AF are awesome, yeah your job sucks, but jobs tend to suck everywhere.

You just don't have much time left before you can collect a check for the rest of your life and work towards and obtain the job that you think you really want while having that cushion.

Sound advice. Especially the first point that 'almost all jobs suck'. If they didn't they would be called play. We would all go to play every day and get paid. Nice idea, but it's not going to happen.

Even though I may be late reading/commenting on this, stay in. If it's too late, then good luck. 7 years is like a walk in the park compared to the 13 you've already done. The benefits alone (medical for 3 kids and a wife) are worth it. Suck it up, put on a happy face and worry about the important things in life...taking care of your family. Forget what you want to be doing on the outside, finish this, get TRICARE insurance for about 1/4 cost of the other available insurance when you get out, take care of the family. Worry about what you want later in life, family take priority right now.

Return to In or Out